Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Dream of a dead loved one

After Dr. Amatuzio published a book with the title Forever Ours, about her patients’ extraordinary experiences, colleagues began to share with her their experiences. Susan, who worked in the county jail, told Dr. A, as she was known to her colleagues, about dreaming of her Grandpa Dewitt.

Two nights after I read your book, I had a dream; Grandpa Dewitt came to visit me. He looked wonderful, and he was so happy. He took me by the hand and we went down to the pond with the fountain in it, at the nursing home he had just been moved to. We sat there and had the best talk ever, about all sorts of things. I remember being so incredibly happy. In fact, when I awakened, I felt we had actually talked, it was so vivid; I felt like he had really been there.

I decided to call him right then, that morning, and go with him to see that pond and fountain for myself. As I reached for the phone, well, you know what happened, don’t you? It rang! I was even more startled when I heard my girlfriend’s voice on the line. Susan, she said in a tearful voice, I got a call from the nursing home this morning, just now. Grandpa Dewitt died last night! They found him in bed; they said he just died in his sleep! 

 

Janis Amatuzio, Beyond Knowing: Mysteries and Messages of Death and Life from a Forensic Pathologist (Novato, CA: New World Library, 2006), 93-94.

No comments:

Gödel's reasons for an afterlife

Alexander T. Englert, “We'll meet again,” Aeon , Jan 2, 2024, https://aeon.co/essays/kurt-godel-his-mother-and-the-a...