Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Mothers learn (from heaven?) their babies will die

Pediatrician Melvin Morse in his book Parting Visions: Uses and Meanings of Pre-Death, Psychic, and Spiritual Experiences reports on many such extraordinary experiences documented in his practice and research. For instance, that the mother of a newborn boy named Jason had an “extraordinary visit” from her deceased father.

I was sitting in my living room reading a paperback book. The baby was asleep in his crib, and I was resting because I had been up half the night with his fussiness. As I was sitting there in the quiet, I had the feeling that I was not alone. I wasn’t afraid, I just wasn’t alone. I looked up and there was my father. He had been dead for a year, but there he stood. For some reason I wasn’t surprised at all. He was just there for a second or two, but I heard him tell me, “Jason is coming with me.” I knew exactly what he meant. He meant that my baby was going to die.

Her knowledge that Jason would die of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) was confirmed by his death a week later. Describing her experience as a dream or hallucination doesn’t alter the fact that the information she received during this extraordinary experience was accurate. Her experience may have been subjective, but the information she received was objectively confirmed.

Morse’s also describes the experience of a patient named Judy. “When she was seven months pregnant, she had a puzzling vision, one that took place while she rested on her bed in the afternoon, fully awake. As she told it:  

I suddenly found myself floating out of my body to the ceiling of the bedroom. I hovered in the air, looking down at myself. Suddenly I realized that there was a lady floating in the air next to me. She glowed with a soft white light. The lady and I looked down at my body. It was as though that person on the bed was someone else. The lady began to talk about the person on the bed as though it wasn’t me. 

“You know,” she said with great love and compassion, “she can’t keep the baby. It is going to die.” I wasn’t angry. Instead I felt great love and compassion when she said that, as if this baby’s death was part of a greater purpose and plan.

Judy’s child died of SIDS less than a year later. Morse comments: “SIDS happens in only three of every thousand babies born.” 

Melvin L. Morse, Parting Visions: Uses and Meanings of Pre-Death, Psychic, and Spiritual Experiences (1994).

No comments:

Gödel's reasons for an afterlife

Alexander T. Englert, “We'll meet again,” Aeon , Jan 2, 2024, https://aeon.co/essays/kurt-godel-his-mother-and-the-a...