Thursday, August 5, 2021

"There was no concept of time."

Bruce Greyson in his book, After, writes that: "Peggy had a near-death experience at age forty-five when her heart stopped during a hysterectomy. She also described her loss of her fear of death and her commitment to live each day to the fullest. 

Peggy recalls: "During a hysterectomy my heartbeat started slowing down and subsequently stopped. I also had no pulse. The anesthesiologist heard the monitor alarm indicate that I had flatlined, and he thought the monitor was malfunctioning. He checked everything and realized my heart had stopped beating and I had no pulse. He yelled at the gynecologist to stop the surgery and called a code.

"The second my heart stopped, I opened my eyes and found myself engulfed in brilliant white light. Being scared was the furthest thing from my mind. I have never felt such peace, joy, contentment, unconditional love, and total acceptance in my entire life! Nothing on this earth compares to the love I felt. Even the light seemed to sparkle with gold dust that felt like love. Being there was the most wonderful, peaceful, protected feeling, and my heart was so filled with joy, I thought it would burst. I never wanted to leave this place. There was no concept of time: two seconds could have been two days, for all I knew. I just never wanted it to end.

It was what I wanted to do more than anything, but something made me hesitate: my family, perhaps, or just that I had unfinished business; I don’t know. They tell me the whole incident lasted less than a minute. In that time, I got a little glimpse of the other side and what awaits me. Love is the most beautiful gift that anyone can give or receive. We all need to nurture our relationships and express our love to those we care about. I see how fragile and short life is, so I now try to live each day to the fullest. I look, forward to dying and have no fear whatsoever. It will be when I can go ‘home,’ where I came from. There is a great peace and joy in my heart that wasn’t there before, and I have a new zest for life.”

Bruce Greyson, After, p, 169-170

No comments:

Gödel's reasons for an afterlife

Alexander T. Englert, “We'll meet again,” Aeon , Jan 2, 2024, https://aeon.co/essays/kurt-godel-his-mother-and-the-a...