Wednesday, December 8, 2021

NDE accelerates consciousness: Long excerpt #5

Radiation oncologist Jeremy Long writes in his article, "Evidence for Survival of Consciousness in Near-Death Experiences: Decades of Science and New Insights" - “The most recent NDERF survey also asks, ‘If your highest level of consciousness and alertness during the experience was different from your normal everyday consciousness and alertness, please explain.’ In response to this question, NDErs described the remarkable state of consciousness during their NDEs:

Because that highest level of consciousness was not constrained to the physical plane of my everyday life, there were more dimensions and less boundaries.

It was a completely different way for my brain to process things. I thought of many different things at once and was able to comprehend them instantly. My consciousness was unconstrained by anything physical. There was infinite thought and wisdom.

It was a completely new consciousness. I felt like I was experiencing things not just through my earthly senses but also through other, perhaps new, senses that I wasn't aware of daily. I felt like my eyes were WIDE open. I could see everything, and it was so fascinating! I was very aware of each detail.

It was so clear and nothing I had ever felt before.

I felt that I was thinking with more than my brain. I WAS total and pure consciousness, knowingness, and BEingness of everlasting life!

It felt more real than ordinary life. Life seems like a fog when compared to it.

“These comments dramatically illustrate that consciousness during near-death experiences can far exceed ordinary earthly consciousness. This accelerated consciousness is further demonstrated when NDErs review part, or even all, of their prior lives during their NDEs. This is called the life review and will be discussed in more detail later. Here is what several NDErs said about their level of consciousness and alertness during their life reviews:

I am still astounded by my life review. It was exceptionally different from my everyday consciousness. On this earth plane, seeing an entire lifetime going by simultaneously is virtually impossible. Yet, I could comprehend as if I were living it all over again.

My mind understood incredibly fast. I worked it out that over 378 million seconds were compressed to just a few seconds in the life review, which included moral lessons. That's like superluminal light speed. I am aware it sounds impossible.

The ‘378 million seconds’ stated above works out to 12 years old, which was his age at the time of his near-death experience. This is evidence that consciousness not only survives bodily death but can be accelerated beyond anything we could possibly experience in our everyday life.

“Prior studies consistently described enhanced mental functioning during near- death experiences. Leading NDE researcher Bruce Greyson, MD found similar increased consciousness and lucidity in NDEs as the NDERF study:

Near-death experiencers often describe their mental processes during the NDE as remarkably clear and lucid and their sensory experiences as unusually vivid, surpassing those of their normal waking state. An analysis of 520 cases in our collection showed that 80 percent of experiencers described their thinking during the NDE as ‘clearer than usual’ or ‘as clear as usual.’ Furthermore, in our collection, people reported enhanced mental functioning significantly more often when they were actually physiologically close to death than when they were not.

“Vivid and highly lucid near-death experiences at the time of clinical death are among the best evidence for the survival of consciousness following bodily death. This is especially true given that supernormal accelerated consciousness is common during NDEs. The medically inexplicable consciousness of NDEs during cardiac arrest provides clear and robust evidence that consciousness survives bodily death.” 


Jeffrey Long, MD, "Evidence for Survival of Consciousness in Near-Death Experiences: Decades of Science and New Insights." In the next several posts I will share excerpts from Long's 2021 article. Footnotes have been deleted. The complete text is available as a pdf at https://www.nderf.org.

No comments:

Gödel's reasons for an afterlife

Alexander T. Englert, “We'll meet again,” Aeon , Jan 2, 2024, https://aeon.co/essays/kurt-godel-his-mother-and-the-a...