Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Verifying NDE life reviews: Long excerpt #17

Radiation oncologist Jeremy Long writes in his article, "Evidence for Survival of Consciousness in Near-Death Experiences: Decades of Science and New Insights" - "One of the more astounding aspects of life reviews is that some near-death experiencers relive their lives through the perspective of those they interacted with:

I went through a life review. The life review was all about my relationships with others. During this, I felt what they had felt in my relationship with them. I felt their love, pain, or hurt from things I did or said to them. Their hurt or pain made me cringe. I found myself thinking, 'Oooh, I could have done better there.' But what I mainly felt was love, so it was not too bad. No one judged me during this life review. There was no disapproval from anyone else. I felt only my personal reactions to it all while the feeling of unconditional love continued to saturate me. I judged myself, and nobody else judged me in this life review.

"Here is another example of a life review with awareness of the feelings of others:

I went into a dark place with nothing around me, but I was not scared. It was peaceful there. I started to see my whole life unfolding before me like a film projected on a screen, from babyhood to adult life. It was so real! I was looking at myself, but it was better than a 3D movie. I could sense the feelings of the people I had interacted with through the years. I could feel the good and bad emotions I made them experience.

"Life reviews with awareness of what others were thinking and feeling while the near-death experiencers interacted with them are robust evidence for a consciousness that transcends the physical. These types of NDEs support the reality of an afterlife with retained accurate and detailed remembrance of our entire lives.

"When near-death experiences occur, the NDErs are usually unconscious or clinically dead for only a brief time. The awareness of part or all of their prior lives during such a short time of unconsciousness illustrates the remarkable acceleration of consciousness commonly described in NDEs.

"I previously published a study investigating the reality of what is observed in life reviews. If near-death experiences and their associated life reviews are real, then it would be expected that the events in life reviews, even if long forgotten, actually did occur. I reviewed 617 sequentially shared NDEs and found life reviews described in 88 (14%). In reviewing these 88 NDEs, none of the life reviews contained any unrealistic content, either by my determination or the NDErs themselves.

"NDErs may become aware of events during their life reviews that they had forgotten. However, when they later investigated what they saw in their life reviews, they confirmed that the events actually occurred. Here is an example from Alma, who was 54 years old when she had her NDE. Alma was vividly aware of her early childhood during a life review:

A moving-art drawing of my life was presented to me, followed by another, and yet another. I was having a life review. I was moving in the drawings, and they showed me that I was kind to people at different ages of my life. At about two years of age, the first moving drawing was me chasing a butterfly that was teasing me to pursue it. I was giggling and having fun as I was playing with this butterfly. I had a pinafore edge dress on, was in a park, and running with the delight of being a little girl. I was sure that I saw myself in the moving picture drawings being presented to me. It was a life review, although I could not have known that at the time. I later saw a picture of myself as a child and recognized that I was in the same park as during my NDE. I was about two years old in the photo. I asked my mother to find a photo of me for a class project in 2017. I saw the pinafore dress I was wearing during my NDE.

"Life reviews consistently describe events that actually occurred in the lives of near-death experiencers. Virtually nobody has a perfect recall of every prior event of their life unless they have an NDE. Examples of over 150 life reviews are available as supplemental material on the NDERF website. NDErs that have life reviews can vividly understand how their actions affect others. This awareness helps them to make more loving choices for the rest of their lives. This observation, along with the remarkable acceleration of consciousness and verification of long-forgotten memories in life reviews, provides further strong evidence for the reality of near-death experiences and an afterlife."


Jeffrey Long, MD, "Evidence for Survival of Consciousness in Near-Death Experiences: Decades of Science and New Insights." In the next several posts I will share excerpts from Long's 2021 article. Footnotes have been deleted. The complete text is available as a pdf at https://www.nderf.org

No comments:

Gödel's reasons for an afterlife

Alexander T. Englert, “We'll meet again,” Aeon , Jan 2, 2024, https://aeon.co/essays/kurt-godel-his-mother-and-the-a...